World Cup Organisers ‘Consider’ Vuvuzela Ban

June 15, 2010 by  
Filed under - Home, News

Anyone who has watched any of the World Cup so far will be familiar with the monotonous droning created by hordes of South African vuvuzela blowers.

England manager Fabio Capello tried to blame the horns for his goalkeeper’s horrendous error on Saturday. He also cited the new ball, aliens, the CIA and just about everyone in the stadium for the howler, except for Robert Green of course.

But FIFA organising committee chief Danny Jordaan admitted that the ‘instruments’ could still be banned from matches “if there were grounds to do so”, after several complaints from TV companies.

“We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action. We’ve tried to get some order. We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It’s difficult but we’re trying to manage the best we can,” he told the BBC.

“We’ve had some broadcasters and individuals[complaining and it’s something we are evaluating on an on-going basis.” The BBC and ITV have received complaints from viewers about the background noise and, while both have said they will monitor the situation, they have also made the point that it is important to reflect the atmosphere of the tournament.

Fifa has previously shrugged off complaints from broadcasters, players and coaches about the noise from the plastic horns that are being sold on every street corner in South African host cities.