Sky Buy Virgin Media – Will You Be Getting More Channels?
When Sky announced it was buying up VMtv this morning industry figures quickly recognised that a major change in British television would be imminent – but what the hell does it mean for John Q Remote Control sitting on his sofa at home? We will do our best to explain.
VMtv is the collection of television channels that Virgin Media own including LIVING, LIVINGit, Challenge, Challenge Jackpot, Bravo, Bravo 2, and Virgin 1. By selling VMtv, Virgin have indicated that they no longer wish to be a content producer, but simply want to become a content platform.
Essentially, these deal is good news for both Virgin Media and Sky customers and after sifting through the extensive press release we can confirm that:
1. Sky customers will now get Bravo and Living HD.
2. Basic Sky Sports HD and Movie HD channels will appear on Virgin Media.
3. All the VMtv channels will still be on cable.
4. There will be more on demand content for Virgin Media customers.
5. Sky’s basic HD Channels will be arriving on Virgin.
6. Virgin One will be rebranded.