Hole In The Wall Axed

April 23, 2010 by  
Filed under - Home, News

Bring on the axe! Anton du Beke’s Hole In The Wall gameshow has been given the chop after just two series.

The show, in which celebrities don skin-tight silver wet suits and try to squeeze through spaces in a bright red polystyrene wall, has suffered a rating slip of 2 million viewers since last year.

It is the second blow for Du Beke, real name Tony Beak (ho ho), as he is likely to to be axed as part of the Strictly Come Dancing professional dancers shake-up this year.

He was embroiled in a racism row during the last series after saying dance partner Laila Rouass looked like a “P***”.

Despite sparking a trend for physical gameshows, Hole In The Wall, which enjoyed audience figures of 6.1million when hosted by Dale Winton, has been surpassed by shows like Total Wipeout and Steve Jones’s upcoming 101 Ways To Leave A Gameshow.

A Beeb insider told The Sun: “There’s still a lot of affection for Hole in the Wall, but bosses thought it was time to try something else.”

A source close to Tony Beak (still funny) said: “Anton won’t be happy. It’s an astonishing fall from grace.

“Just six months ago he was being talked about as the next big thing at the BBC. Now it looks like he could be left with nothing.”