The Lowdown: Things You Never Knew About Ryan Reynolds
Following his starring role in romcom-you-can-stomach The Proposal opposite Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds has gone from relatively unknown frat boy to the carnal desires of many a lady across the land.
But other than having the enviable position of being the guy Scarlett Johansson comes home to what else do we really know about the dreamboat? OTB ploughs the archives to bring you the nuggets of truth.
1. In order to bulk up for his 2004 film Blade: Trinity, Reynolds endured a trying fitness regime and a diet of â€śchicken and drywallâ€?, gaining 25lbs in muscle. His burly 6â€™2â€? frame meant no body double for him could be found, so he had to do his own stunts.
2. On his right wrist he has a tattoo of the Nine oâ€™Clock Gun, a cannon that goes off nightly in his hometown of Vancouver. Yep, Canadian.
3. He failed his drama class at the age of 12.
4. He has a fear of flying: â€śWhen I was 19, I decided to get my sky diving licence. I did 12 jumps, then on my 13th my chute didnâ€™t open,â€? he said. â€śMy life was flashing before my eyes, but I managed to pull my reserve, which opened and I landed okayâ€¦ itâ€™s given me a lifelong fear of flyingâ€?.
5. His middle name is Rodney. Heh heh.
6. Samuel L. Jackson gave him a beehive as a wedding present, after his now-wife Scarlett Johansson expressed concern about the buzzing insectsâ€™ fate.
7. In his first day in LA after a brief hiatus from screen acting, Reynoldsâ€™ Jeep was stripped leaving him to drive to auditions in a doorless vehicle for four months.
8. He loves travelling, and once tried to cross Australia on motorbike with a pal. The pal crashed en route however, and Reynolds had to double with him on his bike to the next town. â€śIt looked like that scene in Dumb and Dumber where theyâ€™re clinging to each other on a scooterâ€?, he said.
9. For two years he was engaged to fellow Canadian Alanis Morissette. Her 2008 album, Flavors of Entanglement, references the break up.
10. Heâ€™s not keen on Superman. In an interview with Elle magazine he said of his character in Deadpool: â€ś[Wade Wilson] relies on humour to get through a situation. But heâ€™s also borderline insane. And I like that about himâ€¦ I wouldnâ€™t want to be Superman. Heâ€™s such a w*nkerâ€?.