The Lowdown: Things You Didn’t Know About George Clooney
Old salt and pepper head Clooney has been literally tugging at our heartstrings ever since performing his first triple heart bypass on ER 15 years ago.
Since leaving the hospital drama George hasn’t let up on his quest to become a Hollywood great – and with four Oscar nominations under his belt you might say he’s not doing too badly.
Hailed as an eternal bachelor George has been a constant fixture in countless ‘Sexiest Man Alive’ lists and has been romantically linked with a trailer full of beauties, and, of course the odd pig.
There’s really no escaping one of the most famous film actors on the planet so here’s a few things that you’ve prob… definitely not read in the millions of other ‘things you don’t know about George Clooney’ lists.
1. George has courted Oscar glory a number of times, initially winning “Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role” for Syriana in 2006. In 2008, he was nominated for “Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role” for Michael Clayton but lost out to shouty method madman Daniel Day-Lewis.
2. George is a long time champion of the poor and needy. In 2008 a portrait of George made out of 10,000 jelly beans was donated to a charity of his choice. He also donated his bag of Oscar goodies to an auction to raise money for the United Way Hurricane Response & Relief Recovery Fund and the victims of Hurricane Katrina.
3. The curse of fame hit George in 2004 when he wanted to take on the role of Jack in comedy Sideways. The director, Alexander Payne felt that he was too big a star, and chose the lesser known actor Thomas Haden Church for the role. George also auditioned for the role of ‘Mr. Blonde’ in Quentin Tarantino’s Reservoir Dogs, but was turned down.
4. George wasn’t born at the top of a list of sexy, successful actors. He spent a year sleeping in a friend’s closet while waiting for his big break.
5. After an accident sustained whilst filming Syriana, spinal fluid leaked into George’s brain, causing severe back pain, headaches, and memory loss. After several spine surgeries, he made a full recovery.
6. Clearly George listens to his gut instincts as he agreed to be in the Cohen brother’s O Brother, Where Art Thou? before reading the script. Sadly, singing is not one of George’s strong points and all of his singing parts were dubbed.
7. As a struggle, though ruggedly handsome, young actor George shared a home with ‘Mrs John Travolta’ Kelly Preston. Preston gave George a Pot-Bellied Pig as a pet which he named Max and kept as a companion for eighteen years.
8. One of George’s most two dimensional roles was as Sparky, the gay dog in an episode of South Park. George loves the show South Park so much that he called Trey Parker, the creator of the series, and asked for a part in an episode.
9. As a man’s man, George loves beer. Not only has he done voice overs for Budweiser TV commercials, he reportedly had a keg of Guinness installed in his dressing room during filming of boys outing pic Ocean’s 11.
10. George’s father, Nick Clooney, was a television broadcaster, and he also has two famous singer/actor aunts, Rosemary Clooney and Betty Clooney. George’s cousin is actor Miguel Ferrer.