The Lowdown: Things You Didn’t Know About Gok Wan
Prior to his TV work, he worked with some of the best photographers around including Rankin, Mike Owen and Tony McGee as well as working on fashion journalism. Over the last few years, though, he has rarely been off our screens.
We’ve had How To Look Good Naked, Gok’s Fashion Fix and Miss Naked Beauty. Next up, Gok tackles his own personal demons in “Too Fat Too
1. Gok Wan’s birthname is Ko-Hen Wan, which means “Noisy Big City” in Cantonese.
2. In a crash diet, Gok lost 11 stone, bringing him down from 21 stone to only 10. Despite having lost so much weight, he still says that he doesn’t regret having been fat – in fact he says that he had to try harder to get attention after losing weight as his weight had defined him.
3. Gok Wan’s brother is like the Chuck Norris of Leicester – he’s an accomplished martial artist who teaches Jeet Kune Do, Bruce Lee’s martial art.
4. Despite his sexuality, Gok Wan was named as being the man for whom most wives would leave their husbands. He responded by saying that “they wouldn’t have much of a sex life, but they’d look damn good.”
5. Wan seems to have a bit of a thing for politicians: “I had a huge crush on Tony Blair in a totally sexual way. He was so powerful but nerdy at the same time. That’s my ideal man – a bit geeky but strong.”
6. Though obviously and openly gay, Gok’s attachment to touching the women he’s around stretches back to his very earliest years. His sister has said that “at primary school he used to sit next to his teacher and stroke her leg while she read the story”. Am I the only one who finds this slightly disturbing?
7. The reason he changed his name from Ko-Hen Wan to Gok is because his friends in Leicester couldn’t pronounce Ko-Hen so it turned into Go-Ken and from there into Gherkin. Wan preferred to be called Gok. Who wouldn’t?
8. As a teenager, Gok Wan had a poster of Peter Andre on his wall and “had many dirty nights with Peter”, but managed to convince his mother that he just wanted to look like him.
9. Gok started out wanting to be an actor and spent some time at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London. However, it was whilst there that he found himself drawn to makeup and hair more than the drama side of the course. From there, it’s all history!
10. On Gok’s How To Look Good Naked mini-site for channel 4, the banner picture features lots of naked ladies, which would be great if it weren’t for the fact that one of them HAS NO NIPPLES.
By Chris Harding