The Lowdown: Things You Didn’t Know About Gordon Ramsay
Now we’re not sure if you’re aware, but there’s the slight chance you may have heard of an uppity little pastry chef who’s currently doing the rounds.
Many of you know Gordon Ramsay through his numerous reality shows and his ubiquitous, delicately worded motivational tactics, but in light of recent infidelity allegations, it’s worth looking a little closer to see what really makes the man….
1. Ramsay’s childhood actually had a lot in common with that of the Littlest Hobo (albeit with a tequila-swilling patriarchal slant – which, by the by, is a film we’d pay to see). As his alcoholic, womanising father changed jobs frequently, Ramsay’s family lived like nomads until 1976, where they finally settled in south Warwickshire, England….. Hmmm…. Womanising father, eh? What was that saying about dessert apples falling far from the tree?
2. Ramsay regularly takes time between his writing, presenting and ranting duties to remind the world that cooking wasn’t always his only passion. Ramsay became a professional player at the age of 15 after undergoing trials for Rangers FC and hasn’t stopped talking about it since. It was only a severe knee-injury that stopped him from making it big. Although we’re thinking that his massively disproportionate head would probably have got in the way of headers too.
3. He only opened up his first restaurant a mere 10 years ago! Gordon Ramsay at Royal Hospital Road opened in Chelsea and won its third Michelin star in 2001, making Ramsay the first Scot to ever achieve that feat.
4. Ramsay currently ranks third in the world in the number of Michelin Stars he’s acquired, just behind Joel Robuchon and Alain Ducasse.
5. After completing the Flora London Marathon in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008, Ramsay aims to make it 10 in 10 consecutive years. His fastest published time so far was 3H 46 mins 10 secs.
6. The health-kick doesn’t stop there though, and after being invited to scale Everest for charity, Ramsay is now planning to fulfill his lifelong ambition and climb the world’s highest mountain next May. That’s coincidental timing: Wife finds out about infidelity Monday, Ramsay announces trek up mountain Tuesday.
7. For all his competitiveness, it couldn’t save him from finishing fifth in Top Gear’s ‘Star in a Reasonably-Priced Car’ segment. Ramsay took home a time of 1:46.3 when he drove the show’s Chevrolet Lancetti, finishing just behind Jennifer Saunders.
8. Gordon has consultancy agreements with several blue chip companies including: Singapore Airlines, Booker Cash and Carry Limited and Aramark Limited. Now, it’s not for us to say, but do you think it’s sensible to take advice off a man caught buying pre-pubescent drugs (poppers) for a mistress who was only famous for having celebrity affairs and then publically bragging about them?
9. Ramsay reckons he could take Jamie Oliver in a fight. When questioned he said Oliver wouldn’t last one round against him. Bugger Oliver, the chef scuffle we really want to see is Ramsay versus the remaining ‘Fat Lady’. Our money’s on her.
10. He may have survived angry spouses, endurance-sports, cut-throat chefs and a ruthless press, but Ramsay was almost undone by that most ungodly of foes: the puffin. Ramsay was caught short whilst filming a puffin hunting segment on Iceland’s Westman Islands. He lost his footing and fell off an 85m cliff, becoming submerged under the icy water for at least 45 seconds.