Sold?: Visit Scotland- Lalala Scotland’s so amazing lalala

December 3, 2008 by
Filed under Reviews

Oh God. Oh God. There’s definitely something about people crooning right up close in your face that makes you dodge their gaze and shuffle slightly off centre from the TV as you take a rare glance around your lounge bemusedly working out whether the prickly sensation you’re experiencing in your face is wonder or shame. (I’m pretty sure it’s shame.) Singing folk set against backdrops of famous Scottish landmarks make this new advert from Visit Scotland/Event Scotland a true cringe-inducer.

Like those rotund guys with harpsichords in wannabe authentic Italian restaurants who make a point of halting the entire place to serenade you and your date by candlelight in their best Italian accents, I don’t know who I’m necessarily more embarrassed for, myself or them? Myself in that I’m actually getting slightly caught up in their semi-powerful vocals and am worried someone might notice (come on, Lulu can belt a tune out), or them and their gross display of earnestness at loving being so damn Scottish.

It’s even worse than, say, X Factor or going to a musical. At least those guys have, like, a stage separating them and you and they’re kind of playing a character aren’t they? Here, what Sean Connery (who incidentally hasn’t lived in Scotland for nearly 50 years) and such like are actually saying is this is us, we’re Scottish, and so clearly amazing. Look how we love to sing about our amazing country. We must really love it. Come visit. Yeah I might, if you shut up and stop embarrassing everyone.

By Susan Allen

Tony Arnold says:

Dear Reg Davies
It is obvious that you have not read Susan’s comments properly, allow me to point out the obvious for you.
Here is a definite slag at the people from Scotland
I Quote
“Here, what Sean Connery (who incidentally hasn’t lived in Scotland for nearly 50 years) and such like are actually saying is this is us, we’re Scottish, and so clearly amazing. Look how we love to sing about our amazing country. We must really love it. Come visit. Yeah I might, if you shut up and stop embarrassing everyone.?

Here’s more
“I don’t know who I’m necessarily more embarrassed for, myself or them? Myself in that I’m actually getting slightly caught up in their semi-powerful vocals and am worried someone might notice (come on, Lulu can belt a tune out), or them and their gross display of earnestness at loving being so damn Scottish.?
Unquote

Here Susan takes the opportunity to slag off the Music from Scotland
I Quote again
“Featuring various figures from the vast spectrum of fame chanting Dougie MacLean’s Scottish anthem, Caledonia, and what with next year marking the 250th anniversary of poet Robert Burns and 30 years after Caledonia was written, the distinct pong of overpowering patriotism is in the air. “
Unquote.

On top of this we have to except the fact that because these famous people do not live in Scotland they are being false, if I had had the opportunity to write my views I would have first found out why they do not live there I can think of a multitude of reasons, which Susan’s mind can not stretch that far.

Best Regards

Tony.
www.arnys-shack.com

Tony Arnold says:

Dear Bob
In response to your comment, I am not from Scotland either, but I do understand why the advert has the musical content that it has
May I also suggest, that you purchase or borrow for yourself.

“Transatlantic Sessions”

www.musicscotland.com/index.htm

This might give you a better understanding why this advert was directed & produced as it was.
Go to YouTube where you will find a Variety of reasons why one might wish to visit Scotland, the Music is just one of them.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go_UdUOUPp8
I have a friend who goes there to climb.

Best Regards

Tony.
www.arnys-shack.com

Josh says:

I really like this ad. It took all the things that I’ve learned about Scotland and tied them altogether into a visually stunning masterpiece of infotainment. I especially enjoyed the two rugby players standing intimately close together while singing hauntingly off-key, and when that guy who does the voice for the dragon in the movie Dragonheart starts mumbling about fantastic discounts available for tours and James Bond dvd box-sets. Well done Scotland.

Reg Davies says:

wow. seriously. Obviously daring to poke a little fun at Scotland means you are subject to the same vitriol as some sort of terrorist. Its an ad! Its a bit cheesy! We all love Scotland, its a beautiful country. But come on, she’s making fun of the ad not of the place or the people. Go Ms Allen! Don’t let the critics silence you…

Tony Arnold says:

Dear Susan Alan,
What is the point that you are trying to prove.
Is it, how CLEVER you are
or is it
How UN_CLEVER, Bonnie Rait, Sean Connery, Eddi Reader, Lulu, and Amy McDonald are,
and the many others that are entitled to be proud of their Scottish heritage.

I am not from Scotland, but was born illegitimate from an Irish Father who died before he and my mother had the opportunity to tie the knot.
Since my birth 72 years ago, I have, on the odd occasion visited the birthplace of my Father, and I am very proud to have Irish blood running through my veins, and would be the first to volunteer in expressing my feelings about Ireland and its lovely people .
But like the famous artists appearing in the advert, my work does not allow me to live in Ireland apart from the fact it is not the wishes of my partner or my family, otherwise I would be there in a flash.
But this would not have crossed your, bent on destructive mind of course, so I will make an excuse for you in this case.

Should they wish to ask others to come to the gutter for their vacation, may I suggest you volunteer your services in recommending this place.

In my response I have decided to fight sword with sword, you were rude in your comments, please allow me the same pleasure.

If my grammar or spelling is not quite up to the mark, then blame it on WW-2, where most of my schooling was spent in London sitting in a air raid shelter or down in the underground, but I doubt whether you would understand this to be a problem.

You should take the time to watch “Transatlantic Sessions? sometime it might help you understand this wonderful place called Scotland and its Music.

Best Regards

Tony
Tony Arnold
www.arnys-shack.com

Bob says:

Ms Wilson, I am Scottish. I was simply pointing out the obvious.

Huw McDonald says:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very proud of battered mars bars and especially fond of shortbread but everyone can have an opinion. I would like to change your opinion on Scotland though Ms Allen. Anything I can do to change your mind?

Margaret Wilson says:

In response to Bob- you probably don’t have a soul.

Bob says:

In response to the first comment, if it only ‘stirs feelings’ in yourself and other Scottish people, then doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the ad? Is the ad simply preaching to the converted?

Margaret Wilson says:

I couldn’t agree more! Shame on you Ms Allen. Honestly, how old are you? Too young to remember, like some of us, what it feels like to LOVE your country. I was born and raised in Scotland and this ad makes me proud when I see it. My husband actually wept a little. Boo to you. Boo.

Susan says:

Well Ms Susan Allen, I have to say my first reaction was anger when I read your little anti-Scottish ramblings. But having thought about it for a few minutes, I guess really it is pity more than anger that you deserve. How awful it must be not to have anything to be patriotic about. How sad not to have a strong feeling of love for one’s country flowing in the blood. You poor, sad, and probably jealous lady. I am Scottish and very very proud of it, and I love the advert and all the feelings it stirs in me…… and whether or not you think that to be foolish, or some big joke, matters not a jot. For I am proud of my country, my heritage and all that goes with it, and Caledonia is my very favourite Scottish anthem, no matter who sings it. What matters is it comes from the heart, of every Scot.
Lighten up Ms Allen. Live and let live, and allow those who love Scotland to enjoy and share that love. Or if you really cant bear it, use your remote and TURN THE AD OFF.