The Lowdown: Things you didn’t know about Masi Oka
With a filmography that reads like a Where’s Wally of Guest appearances, you could be forgiven for thinking that he actually does have the power to transcend time and space. From his recurring role as Franklyn, the nerdy Japanese lab assistant, in Scrubs to the Hiro we all know and love in Heroes, we take a look at 10 things you didn’t know about Masi Oka.
1. His parents divorced when he was only one month old; he was raised by his mother and never met his father. Together they moved to Queens, New York, United States when he was 6.
2. He has a 180+ IQ and at 12 years old was featured on the cover of Time Magazine titled â€śThose Asian-American Whiz Kidsâ€?.
3. He graduated from Brown University in 1997 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science and Mathematics.
4. After graduating, he landed his first job at Industrial Light & Magic, George Lucas’ visual effects company. He’s worked behind the scenes on big-budget films like The Perfect Storm, Star Wars: Episode II, Terminator 3 and the first two Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
5. He is fluent in English, Japanese and Spanish. He is the one who translates his segments on Heroes from English to Japanese.
6. His hobbies include Kendo, where he holds the rank of Shodan, playing piano and collecting manga (Japanese comics), as well as watching and writing romantic comedies.
7. At the 2007 Spike TV Guys’ Choice Awards he was named â€śCoolest Geekâ€?.
8. He is a big fan of the New York Rangers and is often seen cheering in the stands with his co-star and friend Milo Ventimiglia (Peter Petrelli)
9. Once, he read what a fan wrote about him and it said: â€śOh my god, Hiro Nakamura, I love him so much. I want to make him my pet. I want to lock him up, talk to him, kiss him, I want to make him literally my pet.â€? Though, Masi brushed it off, claiming he loves the attention.
10. Masi has admitted that making the â€śteleportationâ€? face in Heroes gives him a headache.